Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Been awhile

Our marathon training mileage keeps getting higher and higher and we're still working hard! This weekend, we did our longest run to date at 12 miles and it was Alison's Birthday! I can't think of a better gift than a good run for your birthday :) The long milers were myself, JB, Alison, Dawn and Kitchel. Dawn didn't start out wanting to do 12, but somehow she finished with us :) It was a cold run..Alison actually had icicles in her hair during the run and we also had frost on our jackets and faces. Needless to say, it was a bit chilly. You always warm up when you're running though. For being as cold as it was, we actually had a bunch of runners. There were some doing 3, 4 and 6 miles along with our crazy 12 milers! It is very exciting to see the enthusiasm and dedication of so many people in Wellington running. There are different levels, but the cool thing is that we are all encouraging each other to just keep going and get better. Such a powerful, amazing thing to see.

We had drink stops every 2 to 2.5 miles and that works well for our training. However, when you get up in the mileage, the starting and stopping tends to get much harder! Our last drink stop, we all groaned as we had to get our feet going again! But it is always a good feeling to know you're getting closer and closer to being done. As usual, JB and Alison were fine running 12 miles, and I'm the injury prone one! My knee was fine up until about mile 11 and then I could start to feel some pain. It got intensely worse and by the time we finished.. I couldn't even bend my knee. I looked like a fool walking straight legged for the next 4 hours, but after 4 whole hours I could walk normal. Not sure that is normal.. but I figure I just need to stretch more..we'll see on the next run. Mitzi and Lisa did their longest mile to date with 6 miles. They are increasing their mileage gradually and they will be marathon ready come February! They will be ready, they just don't know it :) 

Alison and JB already ran their first 3 mile run of the week yesterday, I will make that run up later this week. Tonight, we run 6 miles. Wednesday will be a rest day, Thursday will be our long 13 mile run and then Saturday will be our 3 mile to finish out this week with 25 miles. Whew..it's getting up there! We'll just keep on working. Until next time...

Quote for the day: "But I know no matter how fast we are running..somehow we keep..somehow we keep up with each other."
-Dave Matthews Band

No comments:

Post a Comment