Sunday, January 1, 2012

Holiday treats and running

This week we had 3 miles on Tuesday, 7 on Wednesday, 4 on Thursday and 15 on Saturday.  Yep – 15!!  YIKES!!

Tuesday, December 27
Alison, Stormie and I met at Eisenhower for our 3 miles.  This run was a struggle for me.  It felt like we were sprinting the first mile, but when I looked at my watch we were going at a 9:30 pace.  It sure felt much faster to me.  I really overindulged through the Christmas holiday and I think my body was telling me about it.  When will we (I) learn that what we eat and drink directly affects our training??  Sure was hard to pass up the peanut butter balls and peanut clusters though.  Alison once again felt great and was off – she had to weave back and forth on the road so that Stormie and I could catch up with her.  Thank goodness Stormie was there with me to keep me going.  It’s amazing all the things that were going through my mind as to why I was struggling.  Of course I thought about all the candy that I had eaten and the beverages I enjoyed, but also I freaked out a little because I didn’t have my IPod.  Keep in mind that we haven’t been using our IPods, but I ALWAYS wear it just in case I need it.  Before the run I thought to myself, “it’s just 3 miles, don’t even take your IPod” – boy was I wishing I had it.  I won’t do that again.

Wednesday, December 28
Why?  Please tell me why!!  Why is one run so difficult and the next run manageable?  I really struggled during yesterday’s 3 mile run and was fine during tonight’s 7 mile run.  Of course, our pace during our run tonight was quite a bit slower than the 3 miles so maybe that was the reason.  I also feel like I don’t get into the groove of running until after about 3 miles so maybe that was the reason.  Or maybe it’s just all mental as most of the running battles are.  It’s quite a battle with yourself as you not only prepare for a run, but also do the run.  We rely on each other’s support when the battles become tough and hope that all 3 of us don’t struggle at once.  We’re starting to question our training schedule and are trying to decide if running 20 miles is enough.  Do we do 22 or even further or do we stick to the training schedule?  We’ve decided to call on our friends that have been through this and make our decision once we receive their input.  We’ve heard from almost everyone that’s done a full that the last 6 miles are brutal so maybe if we go 22 during training, the last 4 will only be the most brutal.  Are you kidding me – I’m thinking 26.2 miles will be brutal!

Thursday, December 29
MUSIC!!  We haven’t been using our IPods lately because we have been trying to talk more.  When you talk, it really does make the time go by faster and you don’t think about how your legs are tired.  We absolutely love it when we are joined by other runners (especially Kitchel) because we talk the entire run.  Although some don’t like to talk (Dawn) – we make them anyway. But…at mile 2.5 during the 4 mile run tonight, I decided to put my earphones in and crank up the music.  WOW – I have really missed my music.   I don’t put both earphones in, just in case Stormie or Alison talk.  I like to keep one ear open so I can hear them or hear oncoming cars LOL!  It’s just amazing to me what a little upbeat music will do to your run.  We all felt a little sluggish during this run and I think it’s because we had 3 straight days of running.  That’s what our training schedule calls for, but sometimes we have to change our days around.  This was the first time in a few weeks where we ran like this.  Alison was always a few steps ahead of me and Stormie and really kicked it in gear the last ¾ mile – she could see the end in sight and wanted to be done.  Let’s hope we all can finish that strong after running 26 miles and can pick it up the last .2 miles.   We’ve had a very strange week of running.  This is really the first time I can remember that we’ve all struggled so much.  Mine was more physical while Alison and Stormie have struggled mentally.  It’s really starting to become a reality what we are embarking upon.  We’ve asked for advice from our fellow marathon runners and we are glad we did.  Do we only (ONLY!!) run 20 miles as our training schedule says?  Do we try and run 22 just to help our mental issues?  Should we bump up our mileage starting now?  So many questions!!  We did receive some excellent advice from those who have done this before and some very encouraging and inspiring words.  I’m sure we’ll lean on them several more times during this journey.  If you think running a marathon is all about running, you are wrong.  You have to get your mind wrapped around it first, and then it’s just left, right, repeat…right Dave?

Saturday, December 31st:
Today was our long run – 15 miles.  This was our longest run EVER!  I’ve always tried to look at the long runs in 2 mile increments.  Our water stops are about every 2 miles so I just tell myself to make it to the next water stop.  We did the 7.5 mile route starting from the donut shop twice.  The first leg we were joined by Jeff and Kitchel. 9th street hill going to our last water stop.  I wanted to walk so badly and then I could hear Jeannette “you’re almost there – keep pumping your arms”.  I couldn’t stop then.  Or Kitchel talking Alison and I through mile 14 – couldn’t have made it up Lincoln Street or against the wind on C without Kitchel.
So now the doubting really starts to set in.  My knees were really hurting after this run – could I really run another 11.2 miles?  Not at this point!  Before this run, we were thinking (hoping) we could run the entire race and only walk through the water stops.  After this run, I’m thinking I’ll have to do some walking.  So does that make me a true marathon runner?  Will I be ok with myself if I walk some of it?  Does it really matter if I walk some?  It’s 26.2 for goodness sakes!!  I think this is where I should remind myself that if it was easy, everyone would do it.  It takes guts, courage, stamina and a little bit of insanity to run a marathon and we are going to do it!!  -- JB

Quote of the day: "We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort."
- Jesse Owens

1 comment:

  1. Great job ladies!! I love reading these. It truly brings a smile to my face with how far you all have come and what an inspiration to others you are. GREAT JOB!!

    I'd personally make my playlist to specifically for your race and needs, the music helps tremendously!! For hills, longer spots without water, where you might get separated. And tailor it for your goal time so you're not fidgeting with your ipod instead of focusing on the goal of completing 26 MILES and 385 yards.

    Yes, you are a marathoner as soon as you get that medal, I've never ran a full marathon but I've completed a bunch. :)
    I'm sure without someone talking you really miss my jibber jabbering huh JB ? ;)

    Yes it is mental but that part IS just left right repeat til tired then right left repeat. :)

    great job ladies and keep on a keeping on.

    If anyone wants to do "speedwork", I'm doing mile repeats at the middle school track today (thursday), hopefully about 2-3 this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete