Monday, January 9, 2012

In Sickness and In Health

This week was our 11th week of training, and it was an interesting one.  Stormie developed a severe sinus infection which kept her from running all week.  She actually started feeling sick last Saturday on our 15 mile run, and ran it sick!!  Stormie, you are awesome!  Our schedule showed a 4 mile run on Tuesday, an 8 mile on Wednesday, and another 4 miles on Thursday.  We changed it up a bit and did 4 on both Tuesday and Wednesday, and did our 8 miler on Thursday.  Our Tuesday, Wednesday runs were nice – Jeanette joined us on Tuesday, and Dawn, Steve, Steven and Lisa joined us on Wednesday.  We finished both of those at about a 9:22 pace.  On Thursday, JB and I were both bummed because we were the only two running.  We always like to have someone else with us so they can talk to us.  About a mile in to the run we saw Jenny running towards us, and I believe we both cussed because we knew we were about to run a lot faster!  (I know….we are never happy).  At around mile 3.5 we see Dawn coming our way, and again knew we were in deep trouble with Jenny and Dawn both running with us.  That run actually felt good to both JB and I, as we finished in a 9:18 pace and commented on how “easy” it was. 
Saturday, I woke up not wanting to run at all.  In fact, I seriously thought about throwing in the towel.  I knew I couldn’t disappoint my partners, so I decided to load up on breakfast and get mentally prepared.  This is probably the most scared I have been before a run, as I remembered how I felt last week after the 15 miler.  We started our run at 8:00 and there were 15 runners at the start line!!!  I love our group!!!!  Kitchel, Kelli, and Trey did the first 8 with us and then Jeanette and Jen did the last 8 with us.  We ran the first 12-13 miles at a consistent 9:30 pace, but then slowed at the end, and finished at a 9:42 pace.  It actually was a better run for me than the 15 miler.  I felt pretty strong at the end and not so sore.  JB, on the other hand struggled at the end, but finished right there beside me.  (She is so tough)   For some reason, I feel like I have made it over the hump, and can finish this crazy thing.  When you talk to me after the 18 miler, it could be a completely different story!  It is so funny how, with running, some days you feel like you can run for ever, and others you struggle from the first step.
Next week, will be a recover week with lower mileage, so that will feel good.  Stormie will also be back with us!!  We sooooo missed her.  Until next time…..     
-Alison

Quote of the Day: "Some people think about making it happen and others make it happen."
- Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment