Monday, January 23, 2012

THE BUDDY SYSTEM

This week was a BIG week for us.  We did 4 Tuesday, 9 Wednesday, 5 Thursday and 18 on Saturday.  This was a total of 36 miles for us this week – the most so far on our training. 

Tuesday, January 17-4 miles:  Wouldn’t you know it – yesterday the weather felt like spring and today its old man winter.  With that being said, we elected to run on the treadmill instead of fighting the wind and cold outside.  I shouldn’t complain too much because we have been extremely lucky with the weather this winter.  We all had great runs on the treadmill (if there is such a thing).  We feel very fortunate when we can get off the treadmill and feel good since all of us despise it!

Wednesday, January 18-9 miles:  YAY!!  I’m finally back to running with my peeps!  After running my last 3 runs on the treadmill, I was so excited to run with someone.  I was so giddy – felt like a little kid LOL!  It’s amazing how much easier it is if your mind is prepared for it.  Well, I wouldn’t say “easier”, just not as challenging.  Steve, Dawn and Stephen joined us for part of our run tonight.  Stephen is such a strong runner – he’s always a few blocks ahead of us.  Of course, it helps that he’s 18 – he’s got youth on his side J  Alison’s back continues to give her problems and hopefully a few more visits with Turpin will fix her up.  I’m thinking a massage at Healing Waters would do us all some good!!  Stormie wasn’t mentally prepared for this run so she struggled a little.  That’s where the “buddy” comes in handy – when one person isn’t feeling it, the other person is there to help pick you up.  Whether it’s running right beside you, talking to keep your mind off the running or making a pit stop with you – it’s much better to run with a buddy.  I don’t know how those runners do it alone.  I’m so thankful for my running partners.

Thursday, January 19-5 miles:  It was just me, Alison and Stormie on this run tonight.  While we know we’ll be doing the marathon by ourselves, we sure do miss our fellow runners on our training runs.  All of us felt “ok” during this run – not great, but not horrible either.  Sometimes the shorter runs are harder than the longer runs.  It seems like it takes us all about 3 miles before we feel like we’re in the groove of running.  Just want to say GREAT JOB to the girls training for a half who ran their longest run tonight of 8 miles – you girls did awesome and should be very proud of yourselves! 

Saturday, January 21-18 miles:  18 miles…I don’t even know where to begin.  Let’s start with the weather – the winter weather.  It was very, very cold but thankfully not too windy.  When we started at 9:00, it felt 4 degrees outside.  Really?  4 degrees??  I was completely stressed by the weather more so than running 18 miles.  Stormie made a mad dash to Wal-Mart to buy some last minute winter weather supplies – mittens, ski mask, hand warmers.  We were prepared and had multiple layers of clothing on.  We had a good group to start the run – Debbie, Andy, DeAun, Casha, Kitchel, Jeannette, Jen, Trey and the 3 of us.  While the girls ran between 4-7 with us, Trey stayed with us until mile 10ish.  We were joined at mile 7 by Dawn and Anna.  YAY – fresh faces J  Anna ran 5 miles while Dawn finished the route with us.  We were joined at mile 14 by Mitzi, Carmen, Cassie, Yvonne, Ryan, Cammy and John – once again it was GREAT having fresh faces especially for the last 4 grueling miles.  And when I say grueling…I mean grueling.  I just don’t know how runners do this – seriously???  18 miles???  My last 4 miles was tough but the last 1-2 was HORRIBLE!!  Why do I make these routes with hills at the ends?  Now mind you, they aren’t huge hills but the slightest inclines will kill your legs after you’ve already done 16 miles.  At one point, we turned the corner and I groaned because of the upcoming hill.  Dawn and Alison were with me and just smiled.  The last ½ mile was the worst for me.  I wanted to walk SO bad, but my running drill sergeants (Dawn, Alison) wouldn’t let me.  Dawn kept telling me I would feel worse if I stopped to walk and I tried really hard to convince her I thought I would feel better.  If it weren’t for them, I would’ve walked.  I’m not sure whether to say thank you or yell at them LOL!  They finally picked up their pace at the end and finished strong as I promised not to walk.  Ryan was there to finish with me.  When I finished, the tears came – tears of anguish, tears of anger.  I have never struggled that bad and it really upset me.  Of course, I didn’t cry for long because I couldn’t breathe LOL!  Oh and I also said rather loudly “That was *bad word* hard”.  I’ll spare you the word I said.  Now the doubting continues – how in the world can I do another 8.2 miles?  My legs were done – I mean done as in D – O – N – E  done!!  Alison and Dawn finished strong and Stormie was just behind me.  Alison felt good and could’ve gone on – really??  WOW – she continues to get stronger.  Stormie did awesome especially since she’s still not 100% healthy and she missed the 16 mile run.  She went from running 14 to 12 to 18 – she’s amazing!!  Oh how I wish I could write this blog and say I felt ready to run this marathon, but unfortunately I can’t.  We still have a few weeks of training left so hopefully I’ll be ready…YIKES!!! 

Quote for the day: "The power of people that believe in you and encourage you to chase your dreams is a tremendous gift"
- Unknown

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE reading these. Makes me wish I would do something like that for training on a race. All of this running group is amazing. Luckily you have each other, cherish that. I'd guess about 95% off my workouts are solo, which is mentally challenging, along with the weather as you stated. Heck, today was gloomy down there ask I did my mile repeats on the treadmill instead of toughing it out and going to the track.
    I have the utmost faith that you 3 will knock this race out of the park and definitely those doing the half will do awesome as well.

    Hopefully I'll be there Friday night, but I'm not positive as I have an ENT appt in kc friday morning.

    Keep on keeping on and left right repeat til tired then right left

    ReplyDelete