Thursday, July 25, 2013

Mindset

This was a looong week! I ran 9 days straight and the others ran 10 days straight. The whole purpose of this new schedule is to run on tired legs, and boy does it work! We all complained of how sore our legs were. We are used to running 3 times during the week and once on the weekend, this is sure different for us. 

I have been in a funk and not really wanting to run much, so I decided that I needed to change my attitude. I told myself that there would be no more negative thoughts or comments, we were doing this for a cause and I should be happy I have the physical ability to do it. Well, these silly girls that I run with insist on running in the mornings, and that just happens to be when I am the grumpiest! So, this has been a very hard promise to keep. We did actually have a speed workout on Tuesday evening and it was awesome.  We ran 7 miles like this......2 laps around the track for a warm up, then 1 lap at our fastest 5K pace and a slow lap, then repeat.  We were all dreading it because it sounded so hard, but I loved it.  It was so nice to have that evening air blowing in my face...until the next stinking morning when we were back to morning runs.  We ran our longest run to date on Friday, with an 8 miler, and then another 8 miles the next day (that’s the one I skipped).  We all felt pretty good on the Friday run, but the girls said it was much harder the next day.  All in all, I think things are going well (except for my mindset), and we just keep our final goal in mind while pounding those streets.

- Alison

Quote for the day: "You have to want it, you have to plan for it, you have to fit it into a busy day, you have to be mentally tough, you have to use others to help you. The hard part isn't getting your body in shape. The hard part is getting your mind in shape"
 - Amby Burfoot

No comments:

Post a Comment