Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Just another week of running...

Well, we had to change this week's schedule again because Caden had a wrestling meet on Saturday, so we ran 5 Tuesday, 9 Wednesday, 14 Friday and 5 Sunday. Our Tuesday run was a lonely run, as it was only the three of us. It was neither a good run or a bad run, it was just a run. It seems like when we are this far into our training we just seem to drudge through some of the runs as if it were our job. We just show up and do what we need to do to get to our goal.

Wednesday was our 9 miler and it still surprises me how "easy" this distance seems now. I remember when we were training for our halves, the 9 mile run was an obstacle. Not it's just another "short" run that we do during the week to prepare for a long one. We had several join us on this run...Mitzi and Carmen also ran 9, Lisa ran 6.5, and I think Anna ran 5 and Dawn ran 7 or 8.

Then comes Friday - I remember telling JB that this 14 miler would feel good after the long 18 miler...WRONG!!! It was extremely windy and it didn't let up for the entire run. The 3 of us plus Jen and Jeannette started at the old Jr. High. Dawn, Anna and Jenny met us on Washington about a mile and a half in. At our 6 mile water stop, poor Stormie was having a very hard time breathing (still sick) so, after we all pleaded for her to stop and go home, she finally conceded. It was a good thing she did, we couldn't even talk to each other the rest of the way because it was so windy and we were just fighting every step of the way. I know I heard Dawn say that this was her toughest run to date, and it was one of my toughest. I have been trying hard to nurse my back, but that wind played havoc on it. I started hurting 6 miles in and hurt the rest of the time. Poor JB was trying to talk to me to keep my mind off of it, but I couldn't even answer her I was so close to tears. But, we finished the full 14 miles without walking, and I consider that a win no matter how ugly it was!

Sunday was such a beautiful day! The sun was shining, no wind and pretty warm for the end of January. As beautiful as it was, it didn't make the run any easier. JB and I both commented that our legs felt like lead. Stormie, on the other hand, showed up all smiles and informed us she was ready to hit the road and run 14 to make up for Friday! JB and I ran our 5 and left Stormie to run another 9 by herself. That was hard, as we are used to running together. We know how hard it is to run by yourself with no one there to talk to or keep pushing you. But she was dead set on getting her mileage in, and by gollie she did. She is very strong willed, and when she sets out to do something there is nothing stopping her!

At this point, I think we are all just ready to be finished training and run the darn race! If there was one close, I would run it tomorrow just to be done!! The emotional roller coaster that you go through is just as draining as the actual running. After the 18 mile run, I felt awesome, and was convinced that I could go the distance with out hesitancy. Then after the 14 miler, I have doubts again. I now know why only 1% of the population are crazy enough to complete a full marathon. What I don't know, is why I thought I should be one of them!! We have such a great group of runners, that give us support with every move we make. I know I speak for all 3 of us when I say we couldn't be doing this without all of them. We love you all!!!!!

-Alison

Quote for the day: "Every person who ever achieved greatness crossed the bridge of self-doubt"
- unknown

1 comment:

  1. Ladies, these blogs make my day. You have all come such a LONG way from when I first met you. Great job!! !! Stormie, if I would of known you were making up mileage I would of ran, I did a 10 miler I think it was Sunday down there. It's crazy to think and believe and know you can run 18 d$&n miles WITHOUT walking!! Great job again!!,!!
    One of these days ink actually be there in town to run some with you. .maybe. Lol. And if not, come race day we'll all tow the line. Heck, even we can say we STARTED with dr.john(i think he's doing it also). Lord knows he'll be done, cooled off and showered before we finish though.

    Keep up the great writing and inspiring others to get off the couch and succeed.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete