Friday, February 24, 2012

435 miles

Our training consisted of 435 miles of pounding the streets of Wellington in preparation for our marathon this weekend.  When you look at it that way, 26.2 miles doesn’t seem that bad, right?  We’re off to FINALLY run this race.  It seems like we’ve been preparing for it for a long time both mentally and physically - although I still think we are preparing for it mentally.  Stormie compared the marathon to giving birth. You’re excited and ready to get it over with, but really nervous and scared too.

Our running week consisted of 9 miles – 3, 4 and 2.  Wow – only 9 miles total.  What a switch from what we’ve been running.  I truly believe all of us are ready to do this.  We can feel all the support from our fellow runners and have loved getting all the last minute words of encouragement from everyone.  Especially Dr. Anders who says “don’t overdress” – something that 4 out of 5 of us do!  We’ll all be looking to Mitzi for this on race day as she seems to always dress the right way.  It’s just hard to put on shorts when it’s 40 outside – BRRRRR!

This is going to be a very emotional race for me and for all of us I think.  I never thought I would be running a full marathon and even said “I will never run a full”.  You know what they say about saying “never” – yep, it bit me.  When I start to get nervous and worried that I will struggle, I just tell myself that we are here to run this race for Team Higgie and our number one fan, Ethan.  What a joy it will be to hug him when we are done.  We will all wear our “Team Higgie” shirts with pride and do our best on Sunday and enjoy the ride – what a ride it’s been.
- JB


Editor’s note: I think I speak on behalf of all five of us in saying how wonderfully blessed we all feel. The support of people in our wonderful little town of Wellington has been overwhelming. The support of our families to endure the training, pain and complaining has been unwavering. The support of these wonderful group of women brought together with a love of exercise has been something that has changed all of our lives. We will be forever friends holding a common accomplishment together on the road and in life. Through everything, we have tried to remain positive, persistent and just run. Isn’t that what life really is about, just keep on going when it seems so hard?

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to JB, Alison, Lisa, Mitzi and all of you that have donated to PPMD in Ethan’s honor. You don’t know how much it means to me and my family. To run a marathon is a feat in itself, but to put money in the hands of an organization that could hold the cards to my son and other young boys’ lives is something that can never be repaid. I can’t say it enough how grateful that I am to each of you.  My MM’s are the most amazing ladies I’ve ever known and you all know how great they are! JB, Alison, Lisa and Mitzi-I love you! 

Now, let’s run and make this marathon our BITCH! GO TEAM HIGGIE!

Quote for the day: “Just Do It!"
- Nike

No comments:

Post a Comment