Monday, February 13, 2012

Tapering Off

After our longest run of 20 miles, we can now start the countdown to race day.  We start our tapering off this week with 5, 8, 4 and 12 miles.  It’s amazing that we find ourselves saying “only 12 miles” when we talk about our long run this week.  Seriously??  Only and 12 miles do not belong in the same sentence.
Monday, February 6th:  We were supposed to run our 5 miles on Tuesday, but a last minute check of the weather made us switch days.  I looked at the weather too late in day for Stormie to join us as she bowls on Monday nights so it was me and Alison.  We joined the group of girls training for their half and ran with them.  Melissa, Amy, Carmen, Mitzi, DeAun, Cassie and Andy – such a determined group of runners.  I told Alison that I wanted to take it nice and easy since we had just ran 20 miles the previous day.  She completely agreed, but let me know you something – I really don’t think she knows what nice and easy means.  She felt good while I didn’t start to feel good until about mile 3.5.  It always takes me a little longer to get in my groove and my legs were reminding me that they had worked hard the day before.  Stormie will do her 5 miles on the treadmill more than likely.  I promise to text her the whole time she’s running so it will feel like she’s running right beside me.  Don’t laugh – it really does help!
Tuesday, February 7th:  Yep – Stormie had to do the treadmill tonight due to the weather.  I did keep her company throughout her run just like I said I would.  I would send her random texts so it felt like I was there talking to her.  I was sitting at my son’s basketball game texting away J  I’m proud of her for getting out and going to the Fitness Center to jump on the treadmill.  It was a cold night and it would’ve been pretty easy to say forget it and spend the night at home where it’s warm.  Good job Stormie!!
Wednesday, February 8th:  It was a little chilly tonight for our 8 mile run and with overcast skies it sure doesn’t help the disposition.  But we got out and did our jobs – it was me, Stormie and Dawn.  Alison was busy at work so she joined us at mile 2.  Dawn did about 5 miles with us and as always, it’s nice to have others join in who like to talk.  I laugh at that statement because Dawn will tell you that she doesn’t like to talk during the runs, but we ask her all kinds of questions and ask for her advice so she’s forced to talk to us LOL!  It was a tough run for Alison and Stormie tonight.  Stormie’s legs were feeling the previous night’s run and Alison was feeling a little blah!  Sometimes life gets in the way of running but it sure feels good to get out and beat the stress out of our bodies. 
Thursday, February 9th:  Who knew it was supposed to snow today?  I sure didn’t!  With the snow comes the treadmill and with the treadmill comes a struggle.  I have my treadmill set up in the basement in front of the TV so that helps, but I would much rather be outside.  Stormie and I were on the treadmill at the same time – she was at the Fitness Center and I was at home.  We had fun texting each other while running.  It really does help the time go by faster.  We included Alison in our texts although she wasn’t running at the time – she was at Caden’s wrestling match laughing at all our back and forth texts.  Thank goodness we only had to do 4 miles tonight!
Sunday, February 12th:  We decided to change our run from Saturday to Sunday due to the weather.  We usually start at 9:00 a.m. and the temperature on Saturday at that time with the wind-chill was -4.  Good call on switching days although Sunday wasn’t much better.  At least it was 14 with the wind-chill.  We started at 12:30 and had a good group willing to fight the weather – myself, Alison, Lisa, Mitzi, Jenny, DeAun, Cassie, Andy, Carmen, Amy, Melissa.  Notice a name missing – yep, Stormie!  She’s still not 100% healthy and I think the cold weather scared her off J  (Editors Note: Stormie did run 4 miles on the treadmill. So technically she isn't a big loser :) This was the coldest running day we have endured – the wind was brutal and with overcast skies, we never warmed up.  But we all did it –11 and 12 miles.  This was Lisa and Mitzi’s first official training run – they did awesome!!    Jenny, Alison and I were even witness to a house fire.  We were running by and heard this man screaming “fire” over and over again.  He was lying on the ground screaming it and it took us a little while to figure out what he was saying.  I thought he was saying “liar” at first.  By the time, we got to his house we figured out what he was saying and were then trying to ask him if there was anyone else in the house.  His response “I don’t think so” – really??  How do you not know this?  Alison asked him what he meant by that and he screamed at her, yes screamed “I DON’T KNOW”.  We all felt extremely sorry for the guy because not only was his house on fire, but his prosthetic leg was inside.  That’s the reason he was lying on the ground.  The police arrived and one of them went into the house and grabbed the prosthetic leg – thank goodness it was right by the front door.  Just after the officer came out of the house, we all heard something pop and decided it was time to go.  We didn’t want the headline to read “3 runners caught in house fire”.  Kitchel – I thought of you during all of this.  You are always asking if we have any crazy stories during our runs and now we do.  My legs were really tired after this run.  I think the colder it is, the harder it is to run.  Your body has to work harder to keep warm and it seems like your body is tenser.  So then the doubting starts – I just did 20 miles the previous week and felt great and now after 12, I feel tired.  So many mental battles – I’m SO ready for this to be over so I can quit doubting myself.  I believe everyone out there who says running is more mental than physical – especially true when you are pushing yourself to do something you never thought you would do.  February 26th can’t get here soon enough.    
- JB

Quote for the Day: "We are different, in essence, from others. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon.
- Emil Zatopek

No comments:

Post a Comment