Monday, September 2, 2013

Just who we are

Well we are halfway through our training schedule and it sure is getting hard. Our mileage is growing both during the week and on the weekends. I don't get to run with the girls much, but when I do I can tell they are getting much stronger! 

We ran our first 16 miler on Saturday, (I only ran 14). I was laying out by the pool later that day reflecting back on teh run, and started chuckling to myself. Just over half way through the run, Lisa stumbled. She didn't fall clear down, but jarred herself enough that she had to stop and walk for awhile. Do you know that not one of us runners stopped to make sure she was okay! We kept looking back, but didn't stop running. Once she started running again we all did a u-turn and picked her up and continued on. Now before you start thinking we are a cold-hearted bunch, if she would have fallen clear down and gotten hurt, we would have dialed 911 and let them know where she was so they could find her! :) 

That reminds me of another time on a longer run when Stormie was struggling. Us runners at the front kept turning around to make sure she was doing okay. At one point JB turned around to go run with her to encourage her, and Stormie said "If you come back here I'm going to kick your ass!" So JB turned back around and just kept running.

I tell you these stories because I struggled myself this week. In fact, I decided to stop training and give up on the marathon all together. It was just getting too hard. I have been dealing with some minor health issues and my hamstring is still bothering me quite a bith. We were in the middle of doing one of our speed workouts and I just decided I couldn't go on. So I quit! I texted the girls to let them know my decision and of course they were disappointed, but very understanding. I felt lik the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders, as I had been struggling with this for quite some time. I went to bed that night feeling good about my decision, but then had a dream. I dreamt that I went to Chicago with the girls to cheer them on, and when they finished the race, I broke down because I didn't get to run it with them. So then when I woke up I was very conflicted, until I started thinking...

It is hard for my daughter Carlee, who was very athletically active to be diagnosed with arthritis at a very young age. She can no longer do some of the things she used to, it is just too painful for her. But she doesn't let that get her down, she just finds other activities that she can do and continues on. That's just who she is. 

I have a friend in Medicine Lodge that develped brain cancer shortly after we graduated. After several months of treatment, she beat it!! It was extremely hard for her when she found out, not long ago, that her cancer was back in both breasts. Although she spends most of her time in and out of the hospital, and no longer has hair on her head, she never stops smiling. She keeps fighting that horrible disease with a grateful attitude that she is still alive. That is just who she is. 

And then of course, there is our little Ethan. It is so hard for him to sit in his wheelchair and watch his friends run and play around him. He would love so badly to be able to do that with them again. But he doesn't let that destroy him, he stays in his wheelchair and finds ways to play right alongside of them. That is just who he is. 

The health issues and injuries that us 5 girls are dealing with are nothing compared to the struggles so many others are facing. So, when you see us out on the street running with wrapped ankles, taped hamstrings and maybe even limping while we run, and wonder why...we run for those who can't! We may stumble or struggle, or even fall, but we will get right back up and continue running...that's just who we are! 

- Alison

Quote for the day: "The pain of training is nothing compared to the pain of not reaching your potential."
- Josh Cox 

No comments:

Post a Comment