Monday, September 9, 2013

NO PAIN, NO GAIN

No pain, no gain???  Well I have the pain without the gain.  I pulled my Achilles tendon on the 16th while running and boy does that hurt!  I could feel something was pulling but like usual, I thought it would work its way out and kept running.  I did our 8 mile run the next day and it hurt every step of the way.  Big mistake!  I saw Dr. Hawks, Dr. Scheufler and Dr. Gill all in Dillon’s that night so of course I stopped all of them and asked for their advice – love small town living J  I was advised to rest and not to run until I could run pain free.  Really?  Does anyone ever run pain free?  After a few failed attempts to run, I decided it was time to quit running for a while and hopefully get this healed up.  I’ve been seeing Dr. Anders for stretching (a.k.a. torture) sessions and I do believe it is helping, but it’s kind of hard going to see him knowing how much pain he will put me through LOL!    

I’ve told several people that the reason we do this blog is to share our emotions and sometimes it really helps to release the frustrations of having a bad run.  I had a different blog all typed up and ready to go and decided not to share it.  I didn’t want everyone to read all the “woe is me” attitude that I was sharing.  I can’t run.  But that just means that I can’t run for now.  Those that know me understand what this is doing to me physically let alone emotionally but it really started to put into perspective of why I wanted to run this race to begin with.  Ethan.  Ethan and all the other children with MD.  They just want the chance to walk, let alone run and here I had an entire blog typed feeling sorry for myself.  Shame on me.  I will run again, they won’t.  So it’s time to get healed so I can start running again for those who can’t.

The summer heat is back unfortunately.  My running buddies have done an awesome job of keeping to the schedule.  I try to join them a few times a week and ride my bike while they run.  Monday consisted of a 5 mile run and Tuesday was strength work which totaled 9 miles.  I rode my bike with the evening group while they made that run their b**** as Stormie likes to say.  I was astonished at how effortless they made it look.  They continue to get stronger and stronger.  We had a couple new runners join in on the strength workout fun and hopefully they’ll be back this week. 

Thursday’s 9 mile run consisted of me aqua jogging for 90 minutes in Alison’s pool.  Mitzi and Alison bought me a floatation belt that helps keep me afloat while I “run” in the pool.  Ann Shinliver has been talking to Mitzi about this and has been telling her how much I need to do this.  It is supposed to keep me somewhat in marathon training shape and it definitely is much easier on my Achilles.  But seriously??  An hour and a half??  Yep – that’s what I did.  Shawn went with me and swam laps while I ran.  Of course, when he was finished swimming laps, he enjoyed a few ice cold beers while watching me finish my time.  It sounds so weird to say I “ran” in the pool but that is what I did – literally.  I try to keep my legs going as fast as I would if I was on pavement LOL!        
            
Friday was a 5 mile run and I rode my bike for a few miles before meeting up with the girls.  I try to get a few miles in before joining them.  Sometimes I think it would be hard for them to have me join in – I’m on the bike which is so much easier than running and I’m not breathing hard or struggling which sometimes you do on a training run.  But I try to be upbeat and encourage them along the way.  But no whistling or woo-hooing on the bike LOL!  Right Stormie? 

Saturday’s 8 mile run started at 6:00 a.m. which means if I’m going to get in a few miles on the bike before meeting up with them, I have to get started earlier.  I did my bike ride then met the group along the route.  I also went to Alison’s pool and did my aqua jogging.  I did my hour in the pool and called it a day.  I don’t really feel like I’m getting a workout in the pool but I’m glad I have it to use.  It allows me to keep my legs moving and hopefully if (when) I get back to running, it won’t take me long to get caught back up.
I elected not to join the group on Sunday for their 10 mile run.  I’m trying to do the bike every other day and trying to do some aqua jogging daily.  I spent the day in Wichita shopping with Madi and was thrilled when we got home that my Achilles wasn’t swollen and didn’t hurt – you have to celebrate the small stuff J  I went to Alison’s pool and did an hour again.  It’s BORING!!  But Casha, Robert and Clay were there so at least I had someone to talk to and help keep my mind off of watching the clock.

Monday’s 7 mile run was supposed to be at 8:00 p.m., but due to busy schedules it was changed last minute to 9:45 a.m.  I got up that morning and rode my bike to bootcamp at 5:30 a.m.  I did class then rode my bike home.  I was able to get 5 miles in on the bike and was planning to ride it with the girls that evening.  Just as I was dozing off for a nap (yes, at 8:30 a.m.) the texts started coming in about switching the time to 9:45 a.m. so I decided to get more miles in on the bike and join the group.  I went to Alison’s pool that afternoon and got 45 minutes of aqua jogging in.  I told her that I’m beginning to think differently about her pool.  It’s no longer a place to go relax, lay out, have a cold one – it’s now my workout spot.  Now don’t get me wrong, after I did my aqua jog I did lay out and have a cold one or two J 

One of things that has been the hardest for me these last few weeks while not being able to run is my attitude.  I’ve tried really hard to remain upbeat, but not being out there running and seeing the girls get stronger and stronger while I’m getting weaker and weaker is tough.  I want to run!!  I truly do!  I want to do this marathon!!  Did I just say that?  WOW – it’s true though.  As I’m typing this, I’ve missed 13 training runs.  OMG!!  I can’t help but think I’m falling further and further behind and at this point I’m not even sure if I’ll be able to run the race.  But you can bet that if I can’t run it, I will most certainly be there cheering for Team Higgie!!  The girls have worked so hard and have given up a lot to commit to this – they are such an inspiration!!  So I will continue to ride my bike and aqua jog until I can get back out there pounding the pavement, running for those who can’t.

I’d like to thank my running buddies who continue to check on me and tell me I’ll be fine and it won’t hurt me to miss a few training runs.  Your words of encouragement have been awesome! And the carrot cake cupcake sure helped too…YUMMY!!

- JB

Quote for the day: “Don’t try to rush progress. Remember – a step forward, no matter how small, is a step in the right direction. Keep believing.”
-          Kara Goucher

No comments:

Post a Comment